Old February 11th 05, 02:51 PM
Jeff

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

A carved turn is made by the technique called "carving," where the ski
is made traveling along the curvature of reverse chamber of the ski
without any slippage; i.e. the tail of the ski follows the tip of the
ski along the curved path in a synchronized manner. A skidded turn
happens when the tail of the ski moves downhill with a slightly faster
rate than the tip of the ski, which causes the ski over-turn. And a
slipped turn is when the tip of the ski moves downhill faster than the
tail, which straightens the curved path somewhat, is an under-turn

This mostly nonsense.

1. Carving is a combination of reverse camber (arc) and sidecut.

Ding, ding, ding! Succinct and accurate. In control, your edge contact
is on the front and the back of the ski. G-force drives the skier into
the ski and causes it to bend in the arc that you describe. It is also
one of the sweet sensations in life...

2. Slipping / skidding / sliding / whatever - they're all the same. NO
ONE in the entire world makes any distinction except apparently you. The
reason a skidded turn works is because either the front or the tail of
the ski is gripping the snow while the other isn't. Why create a new
definition when you can just simply say "skid" the tails or "skid" the
tips?

This conforms with my understanding. I'd be inclined to say that in most
cases, the front shovel edge bites the snow while the tail slips.

3. There is no such thing as an under-turn or over-turn -- at least not
in the sense that you're describing. They are turns. An "over turn" in
classic language is where you've turned out of the fall line too far and
have to make an exaggerated motion to come back around. Beginning powder
skiers over turn a lot.

Overturns, as you've described them, are responsible for more speed loss
than anything I can think of short of a yard sale.

Jeff