Old December 25th 04, 12:11 AM
Camilo

The main reason that skating is so emphasized in this group is the strong
focus on the relatively minor world of gung-ho racing among most posters,
and skating is a race-oriented sport and the faster of the two (given
certain caveats, see below). It almost seems its the only reason most
r.s.n'ers ski. RSN'ers tend to be more interested in racing results than
the recreational aspects of groomed trail skiing, let alone touring or any
other cross country endeavor. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's a
terrific sport which I love although I'm a very slow racer. But it's just a
small part of nordic XC, but you wouldn't know that by the emphasis of this
group. Really, a better group name would be rec.skiing,nordic-racing.

To me there's no doubt that classical skiing requires more skill and
technique as well is a far more versitile sport (from racing to trail
breaking, to on and off track touring, and everything in between). There's
so much beyond fitness and racing involved, and that may be why real
athletic skiers, new to the sport, tend to focus on skating and ignore
striding. Fitness requirements vs. skating is probably not an issue - elite
skiers in both need to be fit.

Skating (here I'm referring to those who skate only, and there are a bunch)
more likely attracts those who don't want to mess with the nuances of
technique and the waxing skill that is needed just to become effective in
classical and/or have no interest in touring or off-track skiing. People
can just get on skating gear and power their way around the groomed courses
without having much technique or having to get out of the comforts of
civilization. I think there's a steeper learning curve and more messing
around with classical skiing. Atheletic people new to the sport just don't
want to or can't mess with it because the skill they have in classic sking
at that stage just won't take full advantage of their athletic ability (at
least as far as race results go).

Of course, there's a lot of technique in skating, and I enjoy it a lot.
There's no doubt that given warm winter temps (above 0F) an expensively
maintained, wide cleared, highly developed and machine groomed track, it is
the faster of the two. But it requires a very well developed trail to do,
compared to every type of classic skiing you can name. It's really not a
sport you can do on trails that are at all natural. Sort of like hiking on
a road vs. a low impact, nearly-natural trail.

Classical cross country skiing is the most natural and utilitarian snow
sport and has the most history, a history I personally love. Having started
skiing as a back country tourer, when striding was the only nordic cross
country technique, if anything, I tend to view excellent classic skiers as
the more elite skiers - I tend to be elitist in that way. I'll admit that
my personal bias is that skater-only skiers are incomplete. I respect an
excellent classical skier more than an excellent skater. Just my bias.
Classic skiing, in all it's variations from racing to mountain touring is
just so much more fun. If I had to give up one, I'd give up skating in a
heartbeat. People who don't classic ski are missing the true essence of snow
sport, but don't know it.

Just one guys personal opinion of course,

Cam