Old January 20th 04, 02:34 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs

"Jason Watkins" wrote in message
om...

Rent from a snowboard shop, not the resort. Resort's don't have much
competition pressuring them to carry good rental equipment. With a
shop, you can check out their offerings, and see how helpful the staff
are.

Do all shops rent? We passed some rental shops near Seven Springs, but the
ski/board shops in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area seem to focus on
selling, not renting. Of course, I've never asked. g

As for a lesson, it sounds like that resort has particularly poor
offerings. However, now that you've done the beginner one, you
probibly can come back and get a "next step" lesson that'll be a
smaller group with more focused attention. Or you can find a private
lesson. A friend who already knows how to snowboard or ski might not
be the best teacher, but they can be good encouragement.

There's no way we're ready for the "next step" lesson, since we decisively
failed the first course!

Boards are made to glide, and I'm not sure slowing one down would help
someone learn. The reason you wish it was slower is because your not
sure how to control this thing. Garlands are a great way to get some
confidence: Start out with the board pointed accross the slope. Shift
your weight toward one end of the board so that it starts to point
down the slope (just like falling leaf).

Never did the garland or the falling leaf.

Joe Ramirez