Old December 9th 14, 10:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

wrote:
Surprisingly, the MSU library doesn't have access to it, so I put in an
interlibrary loan request with the town library. It should come soon, as
I think they receive articles by email. I'll let you know.

No reason recreational runners should be higher in Norway that I know

There are not that many serious "recreational" runners in Norway, what
we have a lot of is xc skiers who take their recreation very seriously
indeed, to the point where Norway's main financial newspaper (Dagens
Næringsliv) dedicates _many_ full-page spreads to articles about how to
train for Birken, how to wax, what the Aukland brothers are up to etc.

I think it has peaked by now, but it is still considered good for your
professional career that you "get the (Birken) pin" every year.

of. It depends a lot on age. Mine was last tested (5200' altitude) at
59 when I was 52 yrs old (max HRM = 184), which is considered high -
they called it "Olympic level" - and it looks now like I may have even

Yeah, that puts you in exactly the same range as me. Welcome! :-)

developed exercise-induced asthma by then. That test wasn't in ski
season and I wasn't really a runner, tho I often jogged the downhills on
hikes.

Running uphill is a relatively good test for both runners and skiers,
much better than biking which was the default alternative when I was tested.

I'm looking at the video and the polarized training group VO2 max was
61 +/- 8.4 and the other group was 64.1 +/- 7.3. Mean difference in 10k
times for those who actually trained as instructed was 7.0 +/- 3.6% vs.
1.6 +/- 4% (n for polarized training group not given, tho Seiler seems
to imply everyone). Both those group VO2 max's suggest recreational
runners who train and maybe race a lot and who do so in part because
they were born with healthy oxygen handling capacities that bring
results which reinforce their interest.

Sure.

I probably wouldn't have started in 75 competitions every year if I was
struggling all the time, but the days when I feel like flying seems to
be long gone. :-(

The last time I remember was maybe 10 years ago, on a Thu evening
(training) race when I felt like what Bjørn Dæhlie described during his
best years: "Yes! Another steep uphill! Now I can gain even more time n
all the rest!"

BTW, have you guys noted the first world cup results this year?

OK in Finland, then a massive blowout for the Norwegian skiers this last
weekend in Lillehammer on the 3-day mini-tour: 4 women and 5 men before
the first foreigner?

Last winter Andy Musgrave won the Norwegian champs you know!

Terje

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 17:42:50 -0800 (PST)
Jon wrote:

Gene:

Thanks for the offer. The first slide on this section is at 27:!6 of
the video. Title of study is "Does Polarized Training Improve
Performance in Recreational Runners" Journal of Sport Physiology and
Performance, 2013 (Iker Munoz,Seiler, ....) (ePublished ahead of
print) VO2 Max was around 62--I have no idea if that's typical or
high (I assume "recreational athlete" in Norway may be at a bit of a
higher level than here in the States.)

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no