Old February 6th 06, 11:36 PM

"Lew Lasher" wrote in message
news:nNRFf.2683$VX2.1413@trndny04...
I'd be happy on tracks at a center, or I could also do a scenic trail
with some modest hills. I'm skiing metal edged light BC skis (right
around 70mm max and with a bit of sidecut) and learning how to tele turn,
so all options on the nordic end of the spectrum are welcome. No epic
hills, skinning, etc.

Mostly I'm hoping to find some good options on the north end of the
state, as I'll be flying into Brattleboro and possibly driving up to
Montreal.

(I assume you meant Burlington, rather than Brattleboro.)

arghh.... where's ma'brain!

The closest ski touring center to Burlington is Sleepy Hollow in
Huntington (see http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/nordicskiing.html). If
they're open, they're probably your best bet. Next after that is Bolton
Valley (http://www.boltonvalley.com/winter/nordic.htm), which has a small
set of groomed trails and a larger set of challenging backcountry-style
trails. There proably won't be enough snow to ski the backcountry-style
trails. But, since the groomed trails are at relatively high elevation,
they may have a better chance of having snow than other places. If
neither Sleepy Hollow nor Bolton Valley has enough snow, Stowe is about an
hour from Burlington. (Craftsbury and Hazen's Notch are even further.)

many thanks for the tips.
now if we would just get some snow :-0

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont