Old November 11th 05, 04:17 PM

Ken Roberts wrote:
Thanks for setting up those pages and maintaining them for so long, Dave.
There really is a lot of good stuff there.

Many may not know it exists

My reaction is that the average internet user nowadays is more likely to
find your FAQ pages than they are to find this newsgroup itself. So if you
want to have the title of "rec.skiing.backcountry FAQ list" _mean_ anything
to most people, you better put some links on those pages to
news:rec.skiing.backcountry (and perhaps also links to some archive
locations) -- and nowadays most internet users would need explanations of
the terms "newsgroup" and "Usenet".

Hi Ken,

This is exactly why I'm asking if there is interest. I can add
a link or two, but 'maintaining' it is another issue.

they currently are highly ranked on search engines.

That's another valuable aspect of those FAQ pages. Apart from the question
of what to do with the content on the pages, that could be leveraged by
putting links on the page to other good resources -- including locations
of future updated versions of the FAQ by someone who wants to nurture it.

My advice about the content is to introduce and "frame" it with some
comments like you just made in your post. That you don't have the energy to
maintain them any more, and they are what they are as of July 14, 2002 or
whatever date. Maybe take out things you think might incur legal liability.
Then the pages would become like a normal published work. And they'd
continue to be very valuable to the community and to new skiers as just
that.

Great idea. Would you be willing to help a little? I think a link
to rsb on every page is a good idea. I can do that. I also think
a new chapter with links to internet resources would really help.

Would anyone be interested in hosting and maintaining that? The
rsb page could link to that site.

David