Old February 10th 04, 10:17 PM
bdubya

Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:26:13 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.

Depends on whether or not you'll be shooting at maximum resolution.
IMHO, that's a waste unless you're planning to do 8"x11" or larger
prints; half that resolution still looks fine on a postcard-sized
print, and if you'll mostly be viewing on-screen, you can go a lot
smaller than that with no noticeable difference.

That said, I'd recommend 256 MB, and buy whatever brand is cheapest at
the moment. (A quick check at pricescan shows 256MB cards from Simple
and from SanDisk in the $45-$50 range - I've used both brands and had
no problem). I'm guessing you could fit well over 200
medium-resolution jpegs on one of those. If you want to be sure,
though, see how many pix you can fit on the card at max resolution,
and at a reasonable resolution, and then just do the math.

One other note, though - if your camera interfaces like my Olympus
(once connected, it shows up as an additional drive), then it can also
double as a decent portable hard-drive, in which case you might want
to go with a larger card.

bw