Old March 13th 06, 12:45 PM

Hi Eugene,

thanks for for your short message. I am now back from the Dolomites:

In the more southern regions (Passo Rolle, Passo San Pellegrino) the
snowpack was very good 20 to 30 centimeters of powder on top 30 to 50 cm
of old good settled snow on north slopes (Marmolada down to the Val di
Mesdi in Sella was a dream!). On sun orientated slopes the snow became a
little bit crusted and heavier.

The snow had fallen with less wind, but while the last week there was a
lot of wind, so typical wind based avalanche situations (behind ridges)
grew fast.

In the northern part (especially while a trip from Lago di Misurina
around the Tre Cime to Fischleintal) the snow in the higher regions had
been fallen under much more wind influence and the avalanche situation
was very (!) critical.

Onpiste the snow situation is perfect. I never before experienced the
pistes in the Doloites in such a good state!

Florian

Eugene Miya wrote:

In article ,
Florian Anwander wrote:

next week I will do a mixed piste/backcountry tour across the Dolomites
(from Passo Rolle to Dobiacco).
Can someone share his experiences from the last week(s), what is the
snow like, especially off piste? Powder or breakable crust?

Coverage was thin. I minimized my off piste in Cortina.
Crust didn't start appearing after I had moved over to Sella.

Were there high wind speeds?

Likely. I had moved to the Stubai region (even though it gets hammered
a bit harder).

Or does anyone know a site, where I can find local weather dates from
the last weeks?

Did you search for Italian Weather on a search engine?