Old June 2nd 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

Default How busy is Alpe d'Huez in February?

On Jun 1, 10:54 am, Clive Backham wrote:

This easter, we did Watford-Alpe d'Huez in 13 hours door-to-door. The
best we've ever managed for Flaine is 11 hours, usually it's 12. I
think the A40 often causes hold-ups, and the route to Alpe d'Huez
avoids it. Maybe we were just lucky this year to get a clear run.

Driving to the French alps
My suggestion for busy dates like half-term is to take a ferry or
Eurotunnel on Friday afternoon. Drive during early part of the night
(kids will be asleep at the back which is always easier) to about an
hour from resort and then stop at a cheapo hotel (would not advise
Formule 1 but anything above is ok ie. Premiere Classe or similar -
you obviously need to book in advance and plan your itinerary). Next
day you can be in resort for 10-11 am without getting-up too early. At
that time there is generally not too much traffic up to resort and ski
hire shop, ski school and lift pass office won't have queues that you
get from 4-5pm. Generally you won't be able to get into your apartment
that early but if you can park the car somewhere safe you can then
enjoy a bit of skiing on empty slopes (Sat is the quietest day of the
week), a nice lunch at a mountain restaurant (without crowds) and then
check-in at your apartment for 4-5 pm. If it's sunny enough on the
slopes you won't feel the tiredness of the journey until in the
evening.
Same for return on next Sat - check out, pack car, ski and leave
resort in evening, hotel and then ferry or Eurotunnel before 4pm on
Sun. If you all decide to give it 100% on the slopes for your last day
it may be a bit sweatysmelly in the car for first part of the journey
but hey you will have skied 8 days instead of 6 for all those buggers
still queuing at airport security for their 4 hour late charter...

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk