Old June 1st 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

Default How busy is Alpe d'Huez in February?

On May 31, 10:08 am, Clive Backham wrote:
Due to having children at school, we must take our main ski holiday at
half-term. So we aim to find resorts that are not going to be too
busy. We drive there, and stay in apartments.

This year we skied in Alpe d'Huez at Easter, and the crowds were not
too bad. The ski area was pretty enjoyable (much better than I
remember from the last time I was there, in 1995). Can anyone advise
how crowded it gets during the February half-term week? As a point of
comparison, I consider Flaine to be fairly uncrowded (except this
year, when due to lack of snow everyone from Samoens/Les Carroz/
Morillon descended on the place!).

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

Alpe d'Huez will be very busy during the second UK half term week of
16/02 (two French areas including Lyon and Marseille overlapping) but
not as much for 09/02 (only Marseille). If you still want to ski Alpe
d'Huez but don't want a busy resort Vaujany is great as there isn't
much accommodation capacity but massive lift capacity from the village
so there is virtually never any queuing from there. It's also a nice
pretty village. See http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.70.
Vaujany gets booked-up VERY quickly though for busy dates. Equally Oz-
en-Oisans is a great family resort also on the same ski area. Again
nothing as busy as Alpe d'Huez and nice family feel to it. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.296.

Otherwise closer from the UK have a look at Les Saisies which offers
everything you are looking for and is not well known in the UK. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.155

PS. to be honest there is always snow everywhere (except one or two
places in the Jura or Massif Central maybe) in February. Otherwise the
resorts may just well sell their lifts and build snowdomes instead!
Morillon, Samoens and Les Carroz are great in my view for what you are
looking for but then you may say I am biased. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.47

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk