Old February 18th 05, 05:22 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ All I have to say is that neither England or the USA are noted
for their dominance in any kind of XC racing never mind classic.

First, don't go around saying "England" when you mean "Britain" or "UK",
eventually you'll /really/ get someone miffed... ;-)

_ Sorry.

But beyond that, though we don't win any medals that doesn't mean that
BASI folk don't know what they're talking about,

_ If they recommend using roller skis for classic technique then
they don't know what they're talking about. I don't know about
ski instructors in Britain, but in the USA for both Alpine and
XC, the professional instruction organizations are notorious for
"Preaching the Way" rather than looking at results. You advance
by swallowing the koolaid and following the PSIA way...

and they go and get
their teaching in Norway, which /does/ have something of a history in
the sport...

_ Show me where Norwegians recommend roller skis for classic
technique. It only took a brief google to find this.

http://www.xcskiworld.com/training/rollerguide.htm

and I quote.

"Note: Most international class skiers rarely practice diagonal
technique on roller skis. When they use "classic" technique on
roller skis they primarily double pole and double pole kick. When
you do see top skiers striding you must keep in mind the physical
and technical base these skiers have developed over years of
training. Bottomline: Until you know what a good diagonal kick
should feel like, try to stick with double pole and especially
double pole kick when classic rolling."

Further, the way to /really/ screw technique is with a Nordic Track
machine! ;-/

_ I've only used them a couple times in the gym when they were
popular, but they seemed to be a fairly reasonable workout.
Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but I thought that they would slip
if you didn't shift weight properly. But they probably do mess
with technique in the same way as roller skis.

_ Booker C. Bense