Old March 8th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C[_2_]

Default how fast do you go?

"Koos van den Hout" wrote in message
Mike M. Miskulin wrote in
:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

Our last snowboarding holiday was in a ski area with a piste which had
speed measurement (Fiss, Austria, the 'Rennstrecke' on the Northern side
of
the area). Blue piste, limited area to gain speed, you go between two
points with sensors and you see your speed on a big sign. I went down
in a straight line and made 63.2 km/h.

There are probably more measuring tracks like this one in other areas.

Koos

Interesting question. I'm slightly *neurotic* about gadgets and have a nice
handheld GPS that includes that data. Top speed, alt, trip odom, etc. It
will also download data points (a plotter-type graph) and overlay Google
maps. Our most recent family trip was to Steamboat and the results were
interesting.

Top speed, 42 mph. (This was done over in Wally World on Tomahawk, PP
conditions. I wanted to try this over on Buddy's Run, but it was a wee bit
icy for my taste so I dialed it back a bit.)
One day distance traveled, lift lines included - 35 miles.

It was cool to see the travel up and down mountain. I don't get on mountain
often, so when the opportunity arises my mind enters this data free zone and
I lose track of time and space. Didn't ever think about how many lift rides
I took in one day, but I think we were served 12 or 14 times. Wish there
were some larger hills and more snow here in Atlanta. LOL.

Anyhoo, I was a little suprised by both numbers.

I have a helmet cam that is decent, but watching bullet cam video does a
terrible job of conveying to the viewer speed and pitch. Not enough
definition due to white out condition and even with a filtered mic, just
about all you hear are voices and wind. Ergo, I don't show the vids to my
buddies because it looks nothing like that double black I bragged about
during apres. The footage resembles sledding down my driveway. LOL.

SC