Old February 3rd 20, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_5_]

Default Who wrote this?

On 03/02/2020 19:44, Harvard Horvath wrote:
[Default] On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:04:11 +0000, BrritSki
wrote this crap:

On 31/01/2020 17:44, Eviel Dewar wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:01:04 AM UTC-5, Ted wrote:

"Grabbed a ride on a supply chopper.
Weather socked in."

He's borrowing lingo from ski mountains, lol.

I think you'll find that we skiers borrowed the phrase socked in from
aviation actually. Merriam-Webster records the first usage as 1944 and
it refers to fog or or weather that prevents flying, not just snow. I
certainly heard it when I started flying in the 60s in the UK. Possibly
derived from the wind-sock which in the early days you had to be able to
see to be able to land...

Chopper pilots don't look at wind socks.

No, but that's where the term originated, probably before choppers were
widely in use.