Old November 7th 03, 08:56 AM
Nigel

Default Czech Republic trip report

I worked in the Czech Republic on contract for 7 months. I frequented
Czech company Canteen every lunchtime . At first it was a bit of a
challenge/survival course but then after a while I thought hell it cant
be that bad. All these fantastic looking Czech woman who worked at the
company were scoffing back the grub with a bottle of Czech Wine or beer
with no obvious side affects . There was actually a salad bar but this
was hardly touched. It was a strict stable diet of Fatty Meat & a plate
or dumplings, Lovely !!!!!

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:54:14 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

"PG" wrote:

[...]

lacking in the sense of humour department. Frankly I thought the food
served up was pretty disgusting, although the Austrians at the same race
camp thought the cuisine was great. Pretty similar to their own, in
neighbouring northern Austria, I suppose. Bed was rock hard, but the

[...]

I think you will find it is a matter of the culinary circumstances to
which one is accustomed. Different blocks of Europe have different
habits and if your metabolism is asking for a different blend of fat /
carbohydrate / protein, then you can feel hungry and irritated. For
example the Anglo-Saxons eat large fried breakfasts with plenty of fat

Not often, they (we) don't. I mean, I like a nice fry-up as much as
the next man, but it's hardly a typical breakfast, is it? If you had
to generalise, I'd guess that a couple of slices of toast is much more
typical

but these have no equivalent in either the Mitteleuropa block or the
Latin block. Once your metabolism adjusts (a vacation is not long
enough) then all is well.

I don't think this is a major factor, TBH. In general, I'd say the
dietary balance is quite similar across Europe, although there's a
major difference im how we get it.

For example, the French aren't big on vegetables with their main
courses, tending to eat much more salad instead. The more eastern
countries seem to have more of a taste for fatty meat which we Anglos
aren't used to, and often don't serve it with gravy or sauce of any
sort, so again it doesn't match with our norms.

Not sure what the answer is - open your mind, perhaps, and try and eat
more like the locals do?