Old May 30th 13, 06:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default 10 mm baskets on 7 mm poles

On Wed, 29 May 2013 17:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
runcyclexcski wrote:

I am thinking to put a 10 mm basket in an hot oven and bring it close
to melting, hoping it will shrink - what do you think? May be put a
hose clamp around it, and keep tightening it as the thing gets
softer. It's just polypropylene (or ABS) of some sort. Yeah, 10 mm
and 7 mm is a big difference - I don't wanna lose a basket in the
middle of a race.

Yeah, I know - drilling the holes worries me, too - but I do remember
seeing such baskets (with holes) in the 80s.

Baskets crack and get badly misshapen easily, so I'd try with boiling
water first. What comes to mind - you're more the engineer than I -
would be to fit the pole in the basket, reheat it in the H20 very well
and carefully use pliers to see if you can shape it down to the right
size. Not sure that'll work, but I'd be queasy about an oven. If you
can get this to hold on asphalt, then snow won't be a problem.

Gene