Old May 28th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default 10 mm baskets on 7 mm poles

I've mixed and matched grips, straps and basket brands successfully over
the years. Stove and boiling water, along with one of those wax sticks.
Even hot tap water works for taking them off, though probably not hot
enough for solid hold. However, that difference between 7 and 10mm
would worry me. It's easier to seem firm enough in the kitchen than out
on snow after a few K.

Gene

On Mon, 27 May 2013 15:36:09 -0700 (PDT)
runcyclexcski wrote:

Races I do these years are mostly held late late in spring, when the
snow is wet and soft. Did "Ski To sea" at Mt Baker, WA yesterday: it
hasn't gone below freezing for several nights in a row, and it was
40F at the start and raining. The tiny baskets on my 7 mm exels sank
so deep, it was frustrating to pole up long hills. Any tips on
reliably (and reversibly) fitting bigger 10 mm Swix baskets, on 7 mm
Exels? Worried about swing weight, too. I could take bigger Swix
racing poles and drill tiny holes in them all over to reduce weight
weight, but the question on matching pole diameter still remains.