Old December 14th 04, 04:20 PM
Mike T

Sharp scrapers are key to a good wax job. Buy several of those
scrapers or equivalent all at once. You'll thank me later! A scraper
only lasts for a few wax jobs and they need to be completely clean to
work right. You save a lot of work with a sharp scraper.

Scrapers can be brought back to life though! I find using a fine metal
file followed by 400 grit sandpaper will resore smoothness and sharpness to
a plastic scraper. I run the file flat along the scraping edges and then
use the 400 grit sandpaper to smoothe any rough spots. I would guess that I
file/sand a scraper after maybe 40 usages though, not just a few. I used
to wear 'em down faster, the less wax one uses, the less scraping and the
less wear on the scraper!

Personally, I use paste. Start with a good hot wax and paste can keep
you going for weeks. I like F4 and toko because the dry on hard and
rub in.

I have never tried paste... but since I find hot waxing to be a kind of
waxing ritual after a long day of working in front of a computer, my quiver
is always waxed up and ready to go

BTW my favorite "inexpensive but effective" brand of wax is SVST Ultra-Wax.
Those 10 ounce bricks last forever even if you are obsessive about waxing
like I am. The yellow is great for spring riding and for hot-scraping.
(Note that they doi *not* follow the same color scheme as Swix or Toko)

Link: http://www.race-werks.com/product.ph...4100&cat_id=17

Mike T