Old May 31st 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
runcyclexcski

Default Long climbs in NJ revisited

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:23:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Advice well taken. Will need to pick a weekend when it's not brutally hot and humid (the drive up there will rob me of the precious morning coolness).

A search of this group turned up a similar thread from ~10 years ago with Sunrise mentioned and also Montana rd (Google shows it in Washington twp, NJ between 78 and 80). Any thoughts on that one? Seems like a nice 6 mi stretch and a somewhat shorter drive.

I live near Princeton, NJ. There are actually some areas that are pretty hilly around here. Problem is, the hills are kind of short and there's traffic. Last fall I found a "road less traveled" within about 25 min drive that has a short steep section and a more gradual but sustained 0.7 mi climb that is suitable for repeats. After only a few outings there I saw a pretty big improvement on snow.

I may take you up on that climb in MD when I'm in the area!

I used to live in Piscataway, and my fav spot was in Far Hills, NJ (Lake Rd), it was only 20 min for me. There is one super steep hill off Lake Rd(Pennbrook Rd), although it's not very long. Still, saved me extra hr of driving.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=far+h...gl=us&t=p&z=15

Haven't skied there in 10 years though.

Never been to Montana Rd.