Old April 4th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

Default Ahhh Spring skiing

lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/4/10 10:48 AM, Bob F wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

75 degrees at the top of Killington yesterday (Saturday).
Many bikini sightings. The views were wonderful. How I
like spring skiing.

Here in the Seattle area we just don't get that kind of spring
skiing. The areas close long before the temps get up that high.

I'm kind of surprised? Around Tahoe both Alpine and Squaw (and Mammoth
down the road) continue into May when the temps are high and the corn
is fabulous. You guys get copious dense snow like we do - why do ALL
your mountains close early?

It seems to me that they close due to lack of people rather than lack of snow.
Probably most of the people still going up at the end of the season are season
pass holders, so the monetary motivation to continue later may be limited. Plus,
I've heard there may be forest service restrictions on their lease.