Old July 20th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike T

Default Putting it away for the summer

I do a full hot wax and then leave the wax on, then put it somewhere cool
and dry. Scrape before the new season. Job done.

Yep. That's about it. Be sure to cover the metal edges with the wax to
help prevent rust.

One of the coaches from one of the camps I attended recommends storing it
someplace warm over the summer - like in a hot water heater closet - which
he claims will allow the wax to penetrate the base. This would require
using a very soft wax for summer storage. I'm skeptical that it would
actually help, but I'm also skeptical that "cool" helps much. I guess if
you've got boards that warp in warm temps - none of mine do that. The
important thing IMHO is to keep it out of humidty and keep the edgesand base
protected with wax.

On the topic of wax, Mike DeSantis from Precision Tuning Center
(http://www.precisiontuningcenter.com/ptc.php?page=ptc) - who is well known
among alpine snowboarders for his fantastic tuning work - recommends ONLY
hot waxing with soft, warm-weather waxes. He says harder waxes should be
applied without an iron because they have a tendency to get brittle and gray
the base. I'm going to follow his advicefir a season - I used a lot of
cold wax last season (good year!) and my bases grayed more than normal, and
didn't hold their wax as well.

Mike T