Old January 26th 05, 02:34 PM
todd

Have fun.

Watch out for the tree wells which are caused not because they are
warm, but because the snow fall at the base of the tree is lighter
since it is captured by the tree canopy. A girl died out at Bachelor a
couple years ago because she ran into a tree, fell in the tree well
head first, and the impact into the tree caused additional snow to fall
on top of her (from the branches). The story is that they didn't find
her until Spring. So, expect big holes of lightly packed snow around
tree wells. Board with friends and always stay in sight of each other.
Turn down your MP3 player so you can hear someone shout...or run into
a tree.

That said, have fun. Its not rocket science, go slow at first and get
comfortable turning in the trees. As your confidence improves, so will
your speed. Moguls are extremely good practice for trees as you get
used to your turns being dictated by solid objects.

Wear a helmet. No matter how good you are, your board will eventually
hit something under the snow that will catapult you forward. You'll
want a helmet in case you end up face-to-trunk. Goggles are a great
idea as well. You'll find yourself ducking under low branches the
closer you get or the tighter the trees. Nice to worry about your
turns and not be concerned about your eyes.

On a side note - I looked at my ski coat this year and noticed several
horizontal lines on the back of it. Didn't think much of it until I
looked at an old coat I was going to sell on ebay and noticed the same
thing. Took me a bit to figure it out, but the lines are from tree
branches scraping my back. (stiff branches or sap I suppose)

Have fun in the trees. You'll find powder days after the storm while
everybody else is boarding groomers and tracked out snow,

-todd