Old November 20th 04, 07:38 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:07:00 +0000, Pip Luscher
| wrote:
|
| I'm going to Les Arcs next year with an effectively novice partner.
|
| I gather that they use the Ski Evolutif system there. Is this
standard
| or does it have to be booked specifically? How good is it?
|
| Somebody said this earlier this week, but TBH I'd be surprised if they
| were still doing so. I know they did so some years back, but it's
| pretty much died a death since the more general advent of much shorter
| skis all round and the teaching of carving as the first technique,
| rather than a nice-to-have later on if you got that far.
|
| One of the regulars here lives down there so should be along shortly
| to give the accurate gen.

The ESF still do it - at 2000 for example their website mentions ski
evolutif, although you'd hardly know it from their English language
"translation" of that part of the site ;-)

"With the French ski School of Arc 2000, you will try, all the forms of
slip.
The others will be able to be initiated with to parabolic ski, the snow
boarders will misuse the half-pipe and the snow park in the station
which with introduced the snow board in France."

While on the subject on language problems, although I have some good
mates in the Les Arcs ESF, I would also recommend New Generation down in
Peisey for anyone staying down there, and Arcs Aventure in 1800 - they
have some good Anglophone instructors..

Pete
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net SNOWeSCAPE