Old January 9th 04, 09:00 AM
Peter Clinch

Flip Buttling wrote:

Skis- Prob single camber fishscales, although for where I want to use them,
(steeper woods skiing, such as the Thunderbolt, or some slides in the ADK's)
skins will prob be needed anyway. Any suggestions?

If you'll be using skins anyway then note that fishscales do make a dent
in turning ability to some extent. Anything too steep for you to come
down on tele gear would probably warrant skins going up.
Also fishscales tend to mainly exist on ski models designed for long
lines on rolling ground. Steep woods I'd want something turnier than
stuff I've seen in fishscales. For the longer, flatter journeys I'd
stick with lighter tele gear as the kick 'n stick really helps there.

Bindings- I had heard that AT gear may not be tough enough to stand up to a
guy my size.

There's AT gear and there's AT gear. Dynafits aren't as tough is
Fritschi Diamirs, but then OTOH they weigh a whole lot less too.
Bearing in mind that things like Diamirs are used on seriously daft
descents I don't think your weight should really be a problem if you're
doing the sort of thing where fishscales skis are a serious consideration.

Boots- No idea what my options are-

If you want the lighter, comfy end then the Scarpa F1 might be the
thing, assuming you happen to fit Scarpa boots well. Trying things on
is the way to find good fit, and beyond that note that boots are
available for a range of things, from light but not too technical to
heavy but very capable. By example, from Tourlites to Denalis. But
whatever you get, try them on first.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital