Old February 18th 06, 01:19 PM

pershoot wrote:
Hi all. How are all of you? This is my first posting.

I am dieing to learn how to snowboard and also ski (I'm more keen on
snowboarding though but would like to do both (I used to skateboard
(wasn't any good though, haha)). I have never done either. I am very
interested in taking lessons and or wondering if there were beginner
groups which I could join.

I'm currently looking at clothes (parka, pants, etc.), as I can't go in
kakhis and a leather jacket hehehe. I'm sure with the right clothes
I will have fun and not be miserable.

I am within the NYC area.

Thanks all for your time.

-pershoot.

I wouldn't get to hung up on clothes to start. A suitable pair of
pants is most important, to keep you dry and warm, so I'd start there.
I'd forget about a parka. You want a jacket that is water resistant
and light to medium weight. It's likely you already have something
that will work. For more warmth, you can add layers of clothing
underneath as needed. And when you're learning, you will be plenty
warm from all the physical exertion. I was sweating a lot, not cold!
I'd also recommend getting a helmet.

You don't say where in the NYC area you are located, so it's hard to be
more helpful on where to go. From NYC there are regular bus trips to
places like Hunter, (Check Paragon Sports) Camelback in PA or Moutain
Creek in NJ can be alternatives too.