Old October 25th 03, 03:37 PM
Steve

Default Chamonix Infos

David Off wrote:
Jim Hutton wrote:

It's not that bad, except in high season when it is over crowded. It's a
long way from being the worst bus service in the world.

I meant worst SKI-BUS service, of course. Where is there a ski resort
with
worse bus service ?

I'd second that, where in the world is the ski bus service worse? Truth
is Chamonix is no.1 so they just don't care that much.

I spent 4 months there without a car and used the bus probably 3 or 4
times a week. I never had the problems you described. I didn't use it
over Xmas and New Year and we probably avoided it during the February
rush too, but at other times it worked fine. It got busy, and the French
idea of queuing is a contradiction in terms, but it worked. It's not a
good service by any means, the buses are infrequent and crowded, but I
got around fine without a car.

The areas are spread out and unless you have a car or fork out for taxis
then the ski bus is pretty much esential. A few hotels and some of the
British tour operators run shuttles, so if you are taying with these
guys you would be OK, but I doubt the cheaper hotels offer this service.