Old August 25th 04, 01:14 AM
Jeff Potter

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:

[ ]
However, the notion that whatever I decided to do is my own issue, and
my own problem (and, as a result, something that there should be no
regulations or rules about) is wrong. If one can show that a particular
activity is (more or less) dangerous, and the resulting injuries put a
burden on society (as they usually do: higher medical costs, less
productivity from losing competent workers, burdens on family services,
mental health facilities, etc. etc. etc.), and if one could further show
that some prophylatic behavior could lessen the risk, then it seems to me
that society should regulate the activity.

This is an nth degree argument, isn't it? How safe is safe enough. "If it
saves just one" is commonly used by those with a prison guard mentality. I
agree that one should be made responsible for the results of high risk
behavior.

--

Jeff Potter
****