Old February 25th 04, 10:53 PM
Mark

Default Near fatal ski incident

Yo,
Since my name's been bandied about (I wonder what it really feels like
to be bandied?), I guess I'll just say that I'm honored and humbled to
be put in "maniacal" terms. Thank you. What we do out here is
definitely risk-taking, but it is calculated and planned and
thought-out. That said, we are always just an accident or injury away
from serious trouble on some of our backcountry skate expeditions, and
we accept those risks, just like a climber is always one bad placement
or rotten piece of rock away from a serious fall, or a cyclist one
crazy squirrel, dog, or auto away from serious accident. A person's
level of risk management is always, I believe, a personal decision,
unless it involves other people who didn't "buy into" the original
risk (family, search and rescue personnel, etc.). I try not to judge.
Laugh at quietly, yes -- judge, no.

Mark (looking outside at the new Sierra snow measured in feet, and
realizing that spring corn isn't coming very soon).

(Chris Cline) wrote in message
Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Chris Cline wrote:
Yeah, but what those rec.bc folks don't know is that skate skis are JUST the tool on thos spring crust days. Just ask Mark Nadell (the Sierra crust cruising maniac)!

thanks for the compliment!

I was thinking of Mark as I wrote that Even if they weren't skate
skis, it wasn't April or May, with lots of days above and nights below
freezing that creates the wonderful crust that Mark taunts us with,
while we slog on our bikes against a stiff head wind and wet snow.
Isn't the sign of an experienced skier someone who knows the difference
between those conditions and a couple of days above freezing several
degrees lattitude farther north in February?

GG