Old February 12th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Default Les Arcs

wrote:
On 8 Feb, 18:06, Pip Luscher wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:32:23 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:50:02 +0000, Pip Luscher
wrote:

In a similar vein, I'm just back from Flaine (finally switched off the
car engine at about 1AM this morning) and was a bit shocked at the
parking charges there - there is a free car park but it's deep in the
bottom of the resort and I was up in Foret, and I was warned that they
can be a bit tardy in clearing the snow. I'd simply assumed that
parking would be free, as it is (err, or was a couple of years ago) in
Mottaret and Alpe d'Huez.

Well you could have asked, you know.

It simply didn't cross my mind because the two other places I've been
were free.

--
-Pip

Just like mentioned above I am surprised that the parking in Arc 1800
is not free. The last time I went to Arc 1800 (2 years ago) all the
out side parking was free. We even managed to park on the road
outside our apartment. As I understand it from above there are
barriers at the entrance to Arc 1800 and there you take a ticket and
pay for the hours on your way out. How does this work if you have pre-
paid for covered parking? Can you just turn up and use covered
parking? On one web site there was a suggestion of a free car park
just outside the barriers. Is this true? Or are there alternative
places to park which are free?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian

Interesting that about pre paid covered parking. My guess is that you
will have to pay the toll charge as well as the parking charge. There
are still places where you can park free and catch the bus; the obvious
one is the Plan Devlin car park, but you can park on the road almost
anywhere between the 1800 and the entrance to 2000, but there is the
risk of snowploughs and possibly being towed away (I have seen it
happen). The La Grange car park 2/3 way up on the funicular is almost
always full, but there are still plenty of spaces in Bourg where you can
dump the car for a week.

John