Old February 28th 10, 08:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default women's 30k

wrote:
What a race! Missed the breakaway due to changing streams but my gosh
did the two drop everyone else. Kowalczyk's skis seemed to be gliding
a little better on the downhills, giving her moments of rest. And she

Those skis were the real difference between them:

When Justyna were behind, she could sit in a tuck and gather in Marit on
every downhill, while with the the opposite situation Marit had to work
hard just to keep up, even with the followers advantage.

really made Bjoergen work. In the final meters, I wonder if Bjoergen
broke into a stride because her back started hurting too much -
sometimes a strider's dilemna - or because of drag DPing. That quick
change was the difference. Poor Steira pushed the pace while Marit and
Justyna switched skis, and I wonder if that cost her in the last K or

It obviously did, but if she had just sat with the small leader's group,
she might have ended up with her 5th fourth place olympic finish.

so. Salvation for Finland, especially with Kuitunen's skis being bad
from the get-go. And quite the race for Evi Sachenbacher and Masako
Ishida of Japan. Ishida seems to do well in these classic 30k's. Look
forward to the Eurosport English video.

Terje

Gene

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:54:07 -0700