Old February 27th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default women's 30k

Yes, WOW what a race!

I was so happy to see the CRUX of the event.

Of course the finish was jump-around-the-room with tension. My wife
actually fell down and cried! : ) True! She's not even a big sports
fan but she was spellbound and overwrought!

But the CRUX was RIVETING!

When JK went around Bjoergen at the top of that last hill we could see
the TRUTH. JK had FIRE in her eyes and an expression of steel.
Bjoergen was starting to loll her eyes and drool.

B's breakaway just didn't work. I sure thought that it would! She
dropped JK so hard. A minute into the break and B was FLYING up a hill
with huge glide in her strides--making the snowmobile gun it!--but JK
was bogged down. I thought it was a no-hoper. But JK bridged up! Wow!

But that EXPRESSION when she made her move at the last hilltop said it
all. --"I'm gonna win that first winter gold for Poland NOW!"

....Then the see-sawing in the final meters...YOW!

It wasn't just your usual sprint finish moochfest with someone coming
around and stealing it. It went back'n'forth until it seemed that a
true VICTORY emerged. It was like a swordfight or something. The gap
at the end was tiny but it clearly told the WHOLE STORY!

Fun! --JP