Old April 16th 06, 08:38 AM

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:50:29 GMT, "Simon Isbister"
wrote:

"Champ" wrote in message
.. .

However, everyone who'd used them said the really didn't work very
well - too little surface area meant they sank too far, and were
barely any less work than snowshoes.

Yeah- in alot of situations, going up on skins seems not too different (in
terms of speed and energy) than snowshoeing.

Hmm, not in my experience, which I must point out is limited to
snowshoeing uphill, often alongside a guide with skis & skins.

It seems to me the action of pushing a skin'd ski forward in the
tramlines is significantly less effort than lifting a snowshow from
one bootprint to the next. And, snowshoeing a broken trail is
mentally harded because you have to focus on planting your foot where
the previous guy did.

When it comes to breaking trail, I suspect skis are still easier, but
I don't have as much experience, so wouldn't like to argue the case
too hard.

Its the downhill portions of
the trip that make skis a far more efficient means of travel than snowshoes.
So, if you are going to be taking the skis off and putting on a board
anyways... why not snowshoe?

Hey, my only reason for going up in the first place is to come down on
the board! You mean there are people out there who go snowshoeing
just to snowshoe? :-)

--
Champ