Old March 14th 06, 04:28 PM

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
It's practical and functional. Snowshoes don't allow you to glide at
all, skis do, snowshoes are more manoeuvrable.

Eugene Miya wrote:
I would not say the latter.

Eugene, either you're /sensationally/ good at kick turns in confined
spaces, or we're thinking of different things... ;-)

Well, I would not use the word /sensationally/, but I find a lot of
relatively new skiers don't know it as a basic turn.
On the issue of turns in confined spaces: I can think of deadly narrow
cat tracks which have nets to prevent skier death.

Similarly, snow shoes will glide, more slide given a steep enough slope
with underlying harder layer. But I am not certain that I necessarily
want to be on that slope.

I think snowshoers rationalize far more than skiers on their insecurity.
A lot of skiers might be arrogant, but they have a big industry which
has a skilled clientele. Snowshoes are still pretty crude.
A lot of Nordic skiers are also very poorly trained as well.