Old October 4th 06, 07:04 AM
ColdWarrior ColdWarrior is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
Well, I don't have any boot answers, but I would like to ask
"How was the snow at Mt. Hutt?"
I have heard that things are pretty ugly in Australia snow wise.
Do you have a quickie trip report to share?

I made some lemonade of it - decently tasty. Hutt is an hour WSW of
Christchurch, 6k ft all above tree level. Which is nice: no altitude
sickness and plenty of wide open areas. There could have been more
grooming; anyone want to nominate the most groomed resort in the world?
Kiwistan has been having an above average snowfall year compared to drought
last.

They drink and drive excessively (hopefully not~ at the same time). Coronet
skifield (they're not Mts or resorts down there) is somewhere near
Queenstown (the sports capital of NZ) and is where the US alpine and nordic
team was, atleast last week. They closed Mt Hutt two days because of gale
force winds. On the last day, they required chains on the harrowing,
unpaved 15 min drive to the base. On my last run down it was a 'wee bit'
(as they say) eerie: a total white out. I could hear people talking but I
couldn't see anyone or anything: up, down, forward, back, right, left, it
was all white.

As for the boots, they're definitely not too loose. I actually was
wondering at the end of one day whether, in fact, I could get out of them.
I forgot to mention I had been having problems before the trip, viz., a
broken toe and a sprained or even stress fractured ankle (didn't get
attention for the latter). I find you really don't need feet for skiing,
but it does put the squasher on any training.

The problem with finding a local fitter is I live in Honolulu now; not much
by way of ski equipment here.

The Langes are definitely stiffer than the Raichlës and Dolomites. And I
was buckling the top on the softest peg, IIRC, mainly because I would have
had to undo my gaiters to get at them on every chairlift ride. How many of
you unbuckle your boots on every chairlift? They hurt my shins and also the
widths of my soles.

Did Dalbello buy out Raichlë then?

What to do? Start over? Know of any fitters thinking of an island holiday?
Remember when I go skiing, its not like holding out my thumb to the local
mt. like I used to do back in New England: it's a pretty penny. There's an
old Welsh saying: time is the only doctor. What if my foot gets better and
I still not performing up to snuff? I could go back to the Utah mail order
and see about the "Thermal Molding" which is supposed to be part of the
process.

I fished out the instructions from the boot:
"The duration of the thermo-molding process varies from 2 to 5 minutes,
depending on the construction materials. Before inserting the machine
tubes, fully open the boot buckle, pulling the tongue forward. A thick sock
must be worn while carrying out the operation, to avoid direct skin contact
with the heated lining..." Below is what the object looks like; you stick
the prongs in the boots with your feet in them.

----
( )
----

/ \
| |
Fig. A
There is a solution. Dalebootusa.com

Custom made and fitted, very comfortable, high performance boots at a competitive affordable price.

Good luck,

Dan
www.djschultzlaw.com
PSIA Level III