Old January 20th 05, 04:59 PM
Stan

Default A Little Injury Advice Please

Unfortunately, I crashed the weekend before Christmas when I hit a patch of
solid ice, which on that day was called "snow". This was a couple weeks
before the Donner area in California got all of the snow recently, I could
have used some of that earlier. I learned a few things that day since I
only started boarding last year (I'm now 51 and my family had been going up
for a few years prior).

Anyway, I was turning from heelside to toeside right before a shady area
that is normally icy on the best of days. I was a little full of myself I
guess and thought I could get in one more turn before the icy area (this was
around 1pm and the slushy areas were actually riding much better than they
were when icy earlier in the day). When I hit the ice, just as I
transitioned to toeside, I went down so fast I couldn't do anything
conciously. I went down on my knees and apparently my left hand. I say
apparently because I didn't really notice anything wrong with my hand at the
time but I actually cracked the scaphoid bone. It's a ******* of a bone
with an unusually long recovery time and I'm currently in a cast.

Now to the question, my knees were screaming for at least 5 minutes sitting
there on the "snow". I'm not sure I have ever felt a more sustained pain in
my life. After a while I was able to continue boarding for a few more runs.
Roughly four weeks later my knees are still slightly painfull to the touch
and I thought they were doing better. Yesterday I went back up, cast and
all with some knee pads! Wrist was fine, first time I went to my knees
though, just after binding up nothing violent, I thought I had gone back to
the original crash. Very painfull. I realize the knees are just bone and
other non-meaty things but, will it be next year before they feel normal
again?? It's been roughly 4 or 5 weeks since the original injury and they
are still tender to the touch but other than direct pressure feel fine.

After going to my knees and feeling they weren't that recovered sure made me
tentative the rest of the day. Am I dealing with the knees for the rest of
the year??

Sorry for the length,

Stan.