Old October 26th 03, 11:09 PM
Alex Heney

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:57:18 +0000, Richard Ashton
wrote:

In uk.net.news.config on Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:58:47 +0000 (UTC), Alex
Heney wrote:

}In general, the *only* reasons which are considered *valid* for voting
}against new newsgroups is the effect they will have on the rest of
}usenet.

Utter bull****, considered by whom?

Considered by those responsible for administering usenet.

You *should* not vote against a group unless you think it will affect
one or more existing groups you are interested in in a negative
manner, or you believe the overall effect on usenet as a whole would
be negative.

But like I said, this is only what is generally considered acceptable.
There is absolutely nothing which can be done to enforce that, so
people actually vote against groups for all sorts of reasons.

Conversely, you *should* only vote in favour if the proposed group is
one you intend using. If the proponent cannot get enough yes votes
from potential users, then there won't be enough users for the group
to be viable. But again, people vote yes for all sorts of reasons.

Valid under whose "rules"?

No *rules*, but the *guidelines* set up for creating new groups.

Where is
the rest of usenet, and does it include alt, and Usenet II?

I have never heard of Usenet II, so I have no idea whether it would
be expected to include that.

But of course it include alt.*. It includes whatever you, as the
voter, consider to be a part of usenet.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom