Old August 29th 04, 11:48 AM
Rob White

I'd agree with most of what Roger says. Certainly a catered chalet is IMHO
the best way to go, having done chalets for a few years we'd not do hotels
again. The big resorts are great but are likely to be wasted on 1st timers,
and as he says, they can be bloody expensive. Cannot say about Andorra as
I've not been but Italy is worth a look - Claviere, or Serre Chevalier (In
France close by), or perhaps Sause D'Oulx, but that can be full of Brits on
cheap packages and school trips. Also look out the Italian Dolomites.

Check out Equity Total Ski - they have quite a few smaller and cheaper
resorts and if you're beginners their prices include kit hire, tuition and
lift pass. Their initial price looks a bit steep, but there are no add-ons,
so overall the prices are competitive - they're on 01273 298298, or on the
web. We've been skiing for 10years and in the early days we found them
pretty good. You can always phone and talk to somebody who's been there and
understands what you are looking for. I cannot say about Crystal, but 1st
Choice has been consistently crap, the prices are Ok but the accommodation
and food is always dreadful - don't even think about it. On the other hand
we had a truly 1st class week in a chalet with Airtours last February and
cannot recommend them high enough.

Rob

"wallace" wrote in message
We intend to have our first skiing holiday this winter but don't know

where
to start. We would like some advice on where to go and when. We are a

family
of 4 (2 teenagers) and would have to go either over New Year or during
school Easter hols. I have loads of questions to ask but want to get the

hol
sorted first. Any advice?

Jan