Old March 2nd 04, 06:31 PM
Carl_M

Default Scottish snow history? Nevis range

I don't seem to be able to find any snow history for the Nevis range in any
of the usual places. Can anyone (Scottish locals?) fill me in on the chances
of finding snow there in early April?

tia,

John

John,

You will have to be lucky, I would say the chances of any lifts being
open is about 50/50 but if they are open there will be a few runs with
a thin cover. I havn't skied Nevis range but Aviemore is about as
high. Also be aware that flat light/fog and high winds is the normal
in Scotland and clear sunny days are the exception. The skiclub does
quote historic figures see

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/rep...al/default.asp

but the 40cm upper and 10cm lower is misleading, if you look at the
individual years they is only 3 years of data 2 years of n/a (ie no
skiable snow) and one year at 40cm/10cm (OK on the upper runs but
watch your bases on the lower runs)

The good news is that most of the summer activities and tourist
attractions start at the beginning of April and the midge will not
have arrived by then. Treat is as a holiday in the Scottish highlands
and if you get the chance to ski it is a bonus, you go and expect to
ski you are likely to be disappointed where you could have a great
time with or without snow.

On a more general point I would not recommend booking a ski holiday in
Scotland more than a few days in advance, if the reports are good and
you can pack the car and go then do so (although if you are further
South than Northern England you may as well go to the Alps). Booking
weeks in advance is a lottery.

Carl