Old December 17th 03, 05:51 PM
Jeff Potter

Default midwest vs. new england trails

I dunno about the specifics but the generalities about Keeweenaw snow is that
there's TONS of it. If anywhere had snow, they would!

Houghton's Tech Trails, Hancock's cool-Finnish-name system: Maasto Hiito?,
Calumet's Swedetown, then Brockway Mt---that would be a great day and a half of
skiing!

Calumet is not restored. It has never changed. It is a throwback. Life is
slower there by half than even in the UP proper! They've simply kept what they
had. Well, minus the money. There are cool authentic unchanged foods up there.
Same in Hibbing Minn, but I dunno about the ethnicities of Minn/Wisc ski areas.
You can find lots of ethnicity in the Copper Country's ski areas! Lake Linden
has a cafe---LINDELL'S---that serves $4 fresh lake trout sandwiches, ice cream
soda fountain, and mixed drinks...mahogany booths, tile floors, big ole
waitresses with Orthodox crosses on their necks and actual polka music on the
local radio--not a tape. THAT was cool. Hmmm, open in winter? Who knows. I've
met nice people up there, openminded, with all the time in the world. A
different clock pace up there. Very nice. ---Much less polebarn culture up
there.

Maybe New England would have more of a 'money' feel, stodgy. The UP is very
layed back and slow.

Marquette is a nifty old town, too---ringed by the usual miles of bigboxes,
tho.

Munising has a cool old bar.

The culture can be thin but is usually warm and open and slow when you find it.

Can't complain about the saunas either, with the jump in the hole in the ice
routine.

--

Jeff Potter
****