Old March 3rd 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
xxx

Default Why only ski Europe?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:32:41 -0600, Dymphna
wrote:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

The alps are closer to home. We travel for less time. We use less resources
travelling. It is a lot more comfortable. With thought it is cheaper.

Some of the European resorts are very well developed. The French government
national and local has subsidised the development of their resorts in what
otherwise would be a very poor area. The lift infrastructure is magnificent in
the popular resorts.

In Italy the food is better.

Yes there are bigger mountains in North America but it is nice to ski below the
tree line. Us low living individuals are unlucky to suffer any altitude sickness
if we are staying below 2000m. The most French and Italien resorts are
Mediterranean they bathed in warm bright sunshine in March and April.

So why travel to North America, Long travel time, too high, freezing cold in
Canada, Bad food (although plentiful) etc.

New Zealand and Chile look interesting but not USA :-)