Old December 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
Dave M

foot2foot wrote:

"Dave M" wrote in message

There are some great smaller (ie less well known and much less crowded)
ski areas in western Montana that are more than worth the stop if you
are traveling that way anyhoo. I think that Foot2foot skied them all
and could offer some suggestions. If not, I could give you the lowdown
on a few. Big Mtn is nice but often crowded when I have been there.
Take a stop at Schweitzer in North ID, maybe then head to MT maybe Great
divide for some altitude before Big Mtn.

Discovery. Whatever you do don't miss the backside of
Discovery. Hopefully they'll have enough to go by that time,
one would think so.

There's a little place I'm trying to think of, way northeast
Montana, it's powder heaven, although not huge or really
steep, it's wide open and only going on weekends. It's
a ski club hill. *If*, they've been dumped, it would make
a good stop. Libby Montana or something. Quite the
characters, they are. They used to have the world's longest
Tbar, now it's chair city.

There's also the mystery area I was not able to find.
A chair that goes straight up this ridiculous cliff, no easy
way down. I've heard, I've never seen.

A week isn't long once you start traveling between points in MT and WY -

everything is pretty spread out - let alone getting there from SEA in
the winter over Snoqualmie Pass - 4.5 hrs to Spokane if decent (6-8 if
not so good or idy across central WA), then three more to Missoula if
decent and a lot longer if 4th of July Pass is snowed up. 6-7 hours on
dry roads from Spokane to Butte where you would head south to Jackson
(maybe) a *lot longer if there is weather as there are multiple mtn.
passes betwixt and Butte is even almost on one of them.

You could always go South out of SEA and hit Mt. Hood then up the gorge
on I84 then thru tri-Cities to I-90 and back on track for ID and MT. Mt.
Hood is pretty cool and the lodge is worth a stay anyway.

Rambling, I know. We have not enough to ski on and I am itchy. So much
to ski and so little snow to do it on......

Dave M.

Dave, I really don't know who you are or where you come
from, but you've gained my respect, and appreciation. How are
you on beginner instruction technique?

You other guys. See how easy it is?

I have no idea at all how to take that. Thanks, I guess. I teach no one,
I only try to do it myself as much as possible. Well, OK, I have been
skiing with my four year old for two years - but she has taken some real
lessons too.

I would absolutely second the backside of discovery tho. Awesome stuff
if the conditions are right.

Dave M.
Just a poor misuderstood kid (not) from Jersey