Old December 3rd 04, 05:07 AM
foot2foot

"Mark" wrote in message

Greetings.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Big Mountain in mid February,
and I have a few questions.

Is there enough there to keep us interested for six days of skiing?

Easily. There's enough to get you into real trouble if you want.

We are upper-intermediates in our mid-forties. We enjoy everything up
through easier blacks, and would like to get some more powder
experience.

I showed up there with maybe two feet of fresh in the lot,
there wasn't *anybody* in the lot until maybe eleven. They
all had to work, you know. Now, it *was* a weekday.

Long cruisers with decent pitch (think Snowmass) are a
joy.

Good choice.

Does it have the potential to be intolerably cold?

No. Not often anyway.

I don't mind zero
or five below, but -15 with a wind might be a bit tough!

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

Don't know. Don't remember. The town is right down
the road from the mountain. If you're driving, it's
all a non issue, that little town is a *great* ski town, and
there's a bigger one ten miles from that.

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

See above. There's a bunch of things to do.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including suggestions of
other places to go. We want to go somewhere without long lift lines
(think Vail)

Huh?

and with Rocky-Mountain snow,

Yep, maybe even lighter.

and we want to try
someplace we haven't been before. The only other place we're
seriously considering right now is Steamboat.

There's *nobody* in Montana. One million people in the
whole state. The state is Huge. The rockies are only half
of it.

For background, our favorite places (that we've been, anyway) are
Snowmass, Alta, and Snowbird. We've also been to Vail, Beaver,
Highlands, PCMR, Canyons, Deer Valley, Lake Louise, and Sunshine.
Vail's terrain would have put it on the favorite list, but the crowds
are ridiculous. Park City also has a lot of the kinds of runs we
like, but the snow wasn't very good when we were there.

You could also have a giggle at Blacktail, I think it is. It's a
more intermediate area, good beginner trees, lots of cruisies,
could be fun for a day or so as well. It's maybe twenty miles
from Big Mountain. The employess aren't allowed to take
the fresh pow until noon.

Thanks again for any help!

Mark

HTH.