Old January 14th 05, 11:50 PM
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

I do feel a certain amount of disdain for people who throw their aprons
over their heads when confronted with a dirty air cleaner, but the idea
of having someone else who is not a significant other to deal with all
the crap so I don't have to is appealing -- moreso when something is
broken :-(

I agree, and the main problem with newer vehicles has to be, IMO, the
computers everywhere. I look under the hood and I have no idea what all
those little boxes are.

Best friend's dad was a Seabee in WW2 and general mechanic for
monster-class earth-moving vehicles for various construction companies
and would have opened a vein before letting somebody else work on his
car. Friend always fixed his own car and the cars of his kids -- until
recently. When he turned 50 he figured he'd done enough of it. He may
have bought one of those things that interprets the pings, but I bet he
doesn't use it. He spent his working life doing computer-related stuff,
but now his wife has to print out email she gets for him. And they say
that WOMEN go through the change...

Remember setting your points? Putting in a carburator kit? Those were
the days. My car doesn't have manual hubs or even a lever to engage 4wd
- just cute little buttons. The center differential lock sure is a nice
feature though.

Setting the timing by rotating the distributor until it pings under
heavy acceleration and then backing off a tiny bit. I really hate the
idea that you HAVE to have somebody else work on your car because the
essential diagnostic equipment costs more than your car when it was
brand new.

Bob Lee wrote:

Problem is, I can't even pull the "at
my age I deserve this" or "when I was a wee lad..." on you.

No, but all things considered I think you've paid more dues than I
have. Childbirth counts, but not that much.

Sorry, but I give maximum credit for enduring childbirth. I'll never
ever figure out why women would go through that twice.

Drugs, if we're lucky. If not, amnesia. I watched my DIL give birth.
What a hero, she didn't even whine.

Biological
imperative or something. But the idea of my doing that....shudder.
Men are pussies in comparison.

You said it, I didn't!

--
Cheers,