Old April 5th 04, 06:38 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default Big group of Norwegians need help on Birkie 2005 travel

(Lars) wrote in message . com...
Post here og mail me at address lars_vagle at Yahoo.no

1. as a group of 40 we would like to charter a bus from thursday to
sunday.
what agency would you recommend?

No idea.

2. NWT offers Airport Shuttle transportation to and from Minneapolis
Airport seven days a week. Special charters are available for
groups.
How is this shuttle service?

MPLS to where? If it's free, I doubt it's far from the airport.

Is Hayward so small we can walk from any lodging to training tracks
and finnish line?

No and maybe. See below

3. Are there shuttle busses from Hayward to Cable the morning of the
race? who arrange these?

I believe yes, arranged by the Birkie race.

4. How long does it take to drive from Hayward to Cable in the
morning?

About 45 min depending on traffic. Also, you can't drive to the start
line, you have to use a bus. So allow maybe 75-90 minutes.

5. when staying in Hayward, as I've been recommended to do, where
should we stay in Hayward?
Is it all a walk from one side to the other, or should we ask for
places downtown og near ski tracks?

They close the Birkie trail on Thursday before the race. Many people
ski on the trial, but you're not supposed to do so. Also, the 4 km of
trail leading to Hayward is on a lake. If you want to ski other areas
(besides the trail or lake), you'll have to have transportation.

6. What lodging would you recommend? highest priorities are close to
test
tracks and finnish line.
Clean double room with private shower. Hotel room size is enough.
ca 75USD per room per night.
I found these links on Birkie.com:
http://www.haywardlakes.com/winteraccom.html
http://www.haywardlakes.com/hotels.html

We will first do the Keski race so I should prepare a similar
questionlist for that...

mvh Lars Vagle.
http://www.turrennklubben.no

There are many areas around Hayward that can accomodate small groups
of skiers (maybe 6-10 people). There are only a few places that could
accomodate 40 skiers, and the best choice may be the Telemark Lodge
(at the start line). The rooms disappear fast (they may be gone
already), they're expensive, and not too exciting, but there is
excellent skiing just outside your door and this lodge is the center
of activity. If you choose to rent a few houses in the area instead,
you'll need to rent cars. That's just the eaiest way to get around
this country.

I would second the recommendation to call the Birkie race
headquarters.

Jay Wenner