Old April 4th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Florian Anwander

Default avalanche ratings

Hi Ian

As Ace mentioned: You should read (and understand) the avalanche report
always completely - and read it daily (I read it with my mobile phone -
for switzerland it is wap.slf.ch; in Germany unfortunatley there is no
wap-service).

They name the typical risk locations (example: "behind cambers and in
depressions in directions from north to south east") and the development
over the time of the day, with a preview for the next days.
The structure and the content of the report is standardised in all
european countries.

Also you should get some more general knowledge about avalanches. The
situation, you are describing (raising temperatures while the day), is
the standard cause for increased avalanche activity. This announced
change of conditions, has been definitely mentioned in the report.

Florian