Old April 6th 05, 01:57 AM
Marsh Jones

JAG338 wrote:
Just wondering what everybody else does in the off season to keep up
with training. I have a specific routine, but it would be nice to hear
what some other people do as well.

A lot of it depends on where you live, and what you like to do. This
time of year, I run, bike and paddle. After mid-June, I usually drop
the run (the canoe triathlons in the mid-west are pretty much over until
fall) and mostly paddle with a few rides thrown in for fun. Somewhere
around Labor Day, I get out the roller skis and do that one day a week
until mid-September and then start cranking up the ski workouts. I
don't do a lot of specific stregth work, although I keep meaning to.

Weekly April:
Mon - paddle 2hr w/new paddler group, and maybe a run
Tues - 2-3 hr paddle with training group
Wed - 2hr ride and maybe a 30min run
Thur - 1-2hr paddle or ride
Friday - 3-5mi run
Sat - 3-4hr paddle
Sun - 2-3hr paddle, 1hr ride

May:
Mon - rookies paddle, 30min run
Tues - 2-3hr paddle, LSD w/natural intervals
Wed - 2hr ride,
Thurs - 'micro-tri' 1hr paddle, 1hr bike, 40min run
Fri - recovery - something light
Sat - 3-4hr paddle w/running portage and some race pace (or race)
Sun - 3-4hr paddle + ride (or race)

June & July:
Mon - Rookie paddle
Tues - Training group 2-3hr
Wed - Easy day 2hr paddle or ride TT
Thurs - canoe race
Fri - usually off
Sat/Sun - usually out of town race

August - varies a lot.
August is much more unstructured. The canoe races coming up are longer
and so are the training days, but I also try to fit an occasional run or
ride into the mix.

Sept - taper off the paddling, add back some runs and start
rollerskiing. Keep riding for the fun of it.

Marsh Jones