Old December 1st 03, 05:59 PM
Mike T

Default Noob clothing question..

There's really two theories to follow.
-snip-

I agree with the "get a shell and fill in layers" theory, especially
because for me, a shell and a single synthetic long-john layer works in
any temp from just under freezing on up. I add a fleece layer when it's
25 F or under.

Ohh... and I have yet to hear anyone who didn't love bonfire.

I wasn't crazy about their pants when I tried them on in the store...
didn't seem to fit very well - never used them out in the elements
though.

FWIW I get pants and jackets from Great Outdoor Clothing Company.
(http://www.greatoutdoorclothing.com) They typically have a beginning
of year sale at their outlets... I got a Summit jacket for $100 and
pants for $50. Their stuff lasts, very well - my previous jacket lasted
6 years (as opposed to 2 years for a Helly Hansen) and I typically get
new pants every year, since (as Jason can attest to) most of my crashes
involve sliding on my left hip which wears through any fabric pretty
fast. Not sure whether they ship across the pond though!