Old January 9th 06, 04:40 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

downhill wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Janet wrote:

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today
where he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

That's a pretty radical misrepresentation.

listening to WCBS in NYC traffic they basically summed up the Sunday
night story as he hoped he would not get disqualified in post race
tech for being drunk.

Hmm, that's about the third different spin I've heard on it. And kind
of surprising, too. I mean, c'mon -- the World Cup mostly takes place
in Europe, where as near as I can tell the drinking "age" is "tall
enough to see over the bar," and where Bode got (besides his prize
money) his weight in local wine when he won some race last year. I
have a hard time believing the FIS is having people blow into balloons
post-race, except if they're looking to decorate the party venue. I
mean, it's _post_ race, and that is...uh...Miller time.

The article I read it wasn't about a post-race party. If they want to
party *after* the race, that's thier perogative. But in the article, he
was *racing* drunk, not getting drunk at a post-race party. And the way
it was written (maybe it was a mis-representation), Bode thought it was
cool to race drunk.

But the story in Boston Globe was he was shocked that it was being
presented that way. He has failed to realize how the media will
distort from his meaning every statement he makes. You repeat the
shock statements and forget to air the clarifying statements.

To be fair, this didn't happen for the past three years, because between
Olympic years, ski racing is invisible in the USA. Now the stiffs at
the major media sports desks are all waking up and saying, "Uhhh, okay,
anyone wearing the red white and blue gonna win anything in this one?
Okay let's go dig up something interesting about 'em." So I guess it is
quite sudden for him.