Old November 26th 11, 12:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

Default Does skating absolutely require groomed trails?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:23:21 -0500, gr
wrote:

On 11/21/2011 5:41 PM, outsideinmi wrote:
absolutely yes, done it nearly every year on our local golf course out my
door.

400 yard long fairway. first pass 4 minutes slooooooow. second pass, 3:45,
third pass, 3:30, until i've packed it myself enough to skate on it fairly
well. self grooming!!!

Jkal.

wrote in message
b.com...
Aside from the obvious nice heavy top crust snow, is it possible to skate
on snow which is say, 9 inches deep and untraveled? Or is trail breaking
something you can't do at all wit skate skis?
gr

Thanks to all for the responses! Sounds like yes for die-hards, but
mostly no.

You would have to disqualify that "yes" because you specifically asked about
skating on virgin 9" snow and he said he has to make several passes to pack it
enough to skate on it, so the answer to your question is a unanimous no.

Ben