Old October 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Ian Spare

Default Grand-Massif Express in Samoens

On 17/10/2003 13:41, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value.

Brasserie CÔmes? (Was CÔmes Rock Cafe). I wouldn't actually recommend
the place for its food, although I generally have a beer or two there
before/while filling in my snow report.

I mean Ski Set not Intersport :-) The restaurant has green awnings I think,
and the food is very good at lunch time.

There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me.

Not sure where you mean exactly, but in the upper part of the shopping
bit there's Pizzeria Pierrot, which does very good pizzas and Savoyard
dishes.

I mean at the top of the elevator lift thing towards the bottom of Grand
Vans and it's next door to the Ski Set which is the Atomic Test Center. Good
pitta bread with your own choice of fillings.

There's also Les Moillets (I think that's the name) at the base of the
lift of the same name which can be pretty good.

Indeed - my favourite out-of-bowl restaurant. Great pattiserie, nice
sun terrace, friendly service and reasonable prices.

Very pretty young waitress last season also :-)

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Don't know that one - I guess you mean doen towards village level?

Yes, next to the main chair lift. For a genuine surprise take the the green
run down, probably the best green in Europe :-)

There's a new place just opened right at the bottom of the cable car in the
old village as well, pizza etc, we went a few nights back and it was quite
nice. Not often skiable to that level though.

Another one to make a date for is the Gite du Lac de Gers, which needs
careful planning and booking to fit in, being in the spearate, mainly
off-piste, Gers bowl.

Booking ahead is best I think, the number (I think) is +33 (0) 450 34 44 83
I think you stay overnight as well (as indeed you can at the Igloo)