Old January 5th 04, 02:39 PM
Erik Brooks

Default First Race

Good for you, Eric! Hope you enjoy the race, as I do.

Passing is easy and lo-key where I race, probably where you are also.
Some racers call out "Track!" as they come up behind you, and you just
jump out at the proper moment and jump back in behind them. When
there are 2 tracks the faster racer usually just jumps into the other
track and doesn't bother you.

I pass more than I get passed, and I rarely yell track. Partly this
is because we never have trails that are closed to non-racers, and
those skiers may or may not know the 'track!" etiquette - I find it
easier to just go round, even if there is single track only and I'm
the one going out of the track. The exception is when doing so would
cause me to acquire a big clump of snow on my klister.

Think snow,
Erik Brooks,
Seattle